Wednesday, January 20, 2010

my picks for YA books you may have missed

I am participating in one-day blog post blitz titled "The Best YA Books You Haven't Read" started by a blogger & wannabe YA writer: http://yannabe.com/2010/01/21/best-books-not-read/


Here are my choices

--Mal Peet's Exposure (2009 Guardian Children's Fiction Prize)
--F.E. Higgins series: Black Book of Secrets, The Bone Magician and The Eyeball Collector
--Blake Nelson's Destroy All Cars
--Blake Nelson's Girl

I think a lot of people missed out on this when it first came out 1994 and the latest editions seem to not be so successful either. I gave this to my 16 year old cousin last year and she loved it. So although some of the music scene references are a little dated, this book can still be relevant to teens today. For me, this book meant so much to me and while I grew up on the other side of the country, I related so much to this story and the whole scene.

Check out my Author Sheet for Blake Nelson on my online portfolio.

Can you tell I'm a fan?

--and finally....C.D. Payne's Youth in Revolt

This book is getting some attention now because of the film starring Michael Cera but I have a feeling more people will just see the movie than read the book at this point. I have not seen the movie yet but I almost guarantee that you will enjoy the book so much more. Sorry no summary here on my blog but will post in the coming months, I promise. I read it so long ago and want to re-read/flip through before I post.

So, go forth and read!

4 comments:

Lenore said...

Oooh! I wasn't aware that Youth in Revolt was a book first. Will have to check it out, thanks!

Kelly said...

Cool author sheet! I'd heard of Destroy All Cars but what a cool way to highlight a more obscure author. :)

Kelly from yannabe.com

Anastasia said...

The F.E. Higgins series looks VERY interesting, so thanks for mentioning it! Adding it my TBR list.

Melissa Walker said...

Love Blake Nelson's work! I'm a huge fangirl of his.